My Media for Alexa installs a tiny media server on your computer that integrates with the ease and power of Amazon Alexa to give you voice control over your media collection. My Media lets you stream your music collection to your Amazon Echo or Amazon Dot without having to upload all your music collection to the Cloud. This keeps your music under your control. Read More...
Your media library stays local but become accessible to Alexa. No need to upload all your files to Amazon Music.
Ask Alexa to play your home music collection by artist, album, genre or even iTunes playlists.
Link multiple Amazon accounts to your My Media server so different Alexa devices in the same home can access your media.
My Media works with standalone media files but can also integrate with iTunes if installed to allow Alexa voice control access to your local iTunes playlists.
Try it now, by downloading the My Media server app now. Once installed, the My Media server will integrate with Alexa to enable your local media files to be indexed and played through Alexa voice commands. Watch installation video!
Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server Essentials 2012, Windows Server Essentials 2016Click Here for Installation Instructions
macOS High Sierra, macOS Sierra, OS X El CapitanClick Here for Installation Instructions
Ubuntu / Debian x86 64-bit
Raspberry Pi v2/v3 or Pi Zero (armhf)
My Media for Amazon Alexa lets you ask Alexa to play your local music collection through voice commands. See below for examples of the types of voice command you can use.
... will play all music in your collection by Jessica Morris
... will find the album 'Through the Valley' in your collection and play it
... will search your home music library for any music with the Genre 'Classical'
Alexa, ask My Media to turn loop mode on/off
Alexa, ask My Media to turn shuffle mode on
Alexa, ask My Media to turn shuffle mode on
My Media for Alexa allows you to stream your home music library from your computer to an Amazon Alexa device, eg an Alexa Echo or Alexa Dot.
1. Use the Alexa companion app on your tablet or the web app at https://alexa.amazon.com to add the My Media skill to your Amazon account. You will be asked to link the skill to your Amazon account
2. Download and install the My Media Server application onto your Windows or Mac computer. A browser will open after installation opening the My Media for Alexa Web Console
3. Complete configuration of the My Media Server application by following the instructions within the app to link it with the same Amazon account you used in step 
4. Add some music to your My Media Server application by choosing the Watch Folder menu and selecting some folders on your computer that contain your media
5. Ask Alexa to play your music, by saying "Alexa, ask My Media to play the album My Favourite Album"
There can be several reason for this
1. Your Alexa device must on the same network as the computer running the My Media server software. If this is not the case, please go to the Settings menu and choose one of the options to allow your media to be streamed via the Internet
2. If your computer is running a software firewall, then you must have a rule configured to allow inbound TCP network connections on port 52050. The My Media for Alexa installation program will automatically create this rule for the standard Windows Firewall however if you are using any third party firewall or host intruson protection software then please check the software's instructions on how to create a similar firewall rule.
3. If your computer has multiple network connections, then please check that My Media has automatically picked the IP address that's in the same network as the Alexa device. You can do this on the Settings page. If it has not, you can override this IP address - this must be the IP address of the computer running the My Media server
4. The Sonos One does not currently support all the Audio Player API interfaces that My Media for Alexa requires; we hope that Sonos resolves this in a future software update.
5. Alexa streams your music from your music library therefore your computer must be on whilst you play your music. This also means your computer must not be sleeping or hibernated.
My Media for Alexa supports MP3 and M4A music files. You can optionally enable support for WAV, FLAC, OGG and WMA files in the Settings page, however, please note that requires you to install ffmpeg as these formats are supported directly by Amazon on their devices.
To manually open the My Media Web Console, open a Chrome or Firefox web browser and enter the URL http://localhost:52051
By default, My Media for Alexa is configured to stream locally across your local wifi or Ethernet network. This means that your Alexa device and My Media server must be on the same routable network. If this is not the case, you have the option of either opening up your internet firewall to My Media traffic or to allow your media to be proxied via our Cloud servers so that Alexa devices outside of your local network can access the media. Please see the 'Settings' menu for further information and to set this up.
When you install the My Media for Alexa service you link it to a primary Amazon account. This should be the same Amazon account you normally use with your Alexa device. If you have another Alexa device linked to another Amazon account, then you can optionally invite that account to share your music library by using the 'Sharing' feature within the My Media for Alexa web console. This requres you to buy a subscription option with the appropriate number of Family Share accounts
Unfortunately we can't yet support multiroom audio yet as Amazon don’t provide access to the APIs to third party skills. We’ve raised a feature request with Amazon to include this, and as soon as they do we will support it as we are desperate to support it too! Please vote for it here.
No - you make a single payment to use the My Media for Alexa app for a year. After a year if you want to carry on using the service you would need to buy another year. We never autorenew subscriptions and cannot make further payments from your PayPal or Amazon account. Note that we charge a subscription because the My Media for Alexa architecture requires use of our Cloud Services to mediate between your music library and Alexa and therefore there is an ongoing charge for the service. Please support us by purchasing a license